Remember the book “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff? It made me sweat the small stuff…a lot…Why you ask? Or you don’t, but I’m going to answer anyway – because I am the type of person who can cope with pressure when it’s big but when it’s small, that’s when I start feeling stress. Everyone copes differently, so here is my top ten list of REALLY STUPID THINGS that cause me stress and how I’m going to cope with them:
- Sitting on a seat that’s really warm on the subway – and I mean really warm. I’ll cope by reminding myself that people spend thousands of dollars to put bum warmers in their cars and this is a special gift for me to get it for free. I’ll also tell myself (in my inside voice) that it wasn’t a smelly person who sat there before me and they definitely didn’t have bum sweat.
- Getting stuck on the subway. I can’t really do anything about it – it’s beyond my control, so I’ll do what I always do, pull out my book and enjoy the mini-break from work.
- The fact that the best show on TV, “The Mindy Project”, may face cancellation. I’ve already told everyone I know to watch the show, I blog about it and bring it up in casual conversation where I can. There really is nothing else that I can do but wait for the ax to fall and enjoy it while it lasts.
- Winter in general and being cold in particular. It’s going to happen, whether I like it or not. I have a really warm jacket and dress for the weather, so I’ll have to just accept it. I also have to accept that it’s November, and all hopes of 20+ degree weather are gone.
- Cooking. Although I am much better than I used to be having mastered the art of the stir fry and a couple of pasta dishes that I don’t really eat anymore, I have to stop getting intimidated by fancy terms. By the way – did you know that “reserve” means to set aside? I bet everyone knew that but me – you are all so much smarter, better people and much wiser! There I go stressing again.
- The fact that there are at least 14 country songs that I know and like (mostly Lady Antebellum. It doesn’t make me a Hee Haw Honey – it makes me open minded when it comes to music. Just don’t tell anyone that I like it – ok?
- My fear of bugs. I’m never going to deal with it, so I just embrace the fear and enjoy the entertainment it provides to people.
- The fact that Google can track my every move online. I’ve just come to accept it. Facebook does the same thing. I always wonder how The Huffington Post always posts doggie pics and deeply touching animal stories on my newsfeed – well, I get it now.
- The fact that every day, I gain and lost almost an equal number of Twitter followers. I don’t love Twitter anyway – somehow, I’ll cope.
- All of the things that I have to do in life. I still have half a lifetime to finish them – so maybe I should just stop stressing?
So, what am I doing this month to help ease the stress of these and other pressures? I’ve signed up for another Deepk Chopra/Oprah 21 Day Meditation Experience – it’s free so try it yourself https://chopracentermeditation.com. Dr. Oz is a big believer in meditation which I may have mentioned about 21 times! I’m also going to scour his website to find other solutions to de-stress myself and embrace a semi-relaxed new me (likely not going to happen, but worth a try).
Today, I’m grateful for November – I’ve never loved October and am so happy to see a new page on the calendar.