Maichie, it’s a special birthday – don’t worry – I’m not going to mention how special, but I thought you deserved another blog to celebrate the occasion. Here are ten more things that I’m grateful to you for:
- When I was little, and our grandmother never sent me a birthday card, you sent one so that I wouldn’t be disappointed, and because I was always a little gullible, I thought that the two of you had the same handwriting, Thanks for that – it was very thoughtful.
- I was deathly afraid of Frankenstein when I was a kid. Up until the time I was 13, I used to think that he was coming over the hills of Cape Breton right to our house to find me. I spent many a night sleeping on your floor – thank you for not making me feel like a baby.
- You are a master when it comes to killing bugs. No matter how big, or juicy – nothing frightens you. While I squeal and cry little a girl, you calmly pick up the offending creature with one-ply Kleenex and tell me that I’m an idiot. Point well taken. You were especially handy on a bus in Scotland, killing one fly after another with your bare hands while I covered my eyes and wished that I was somewhere else.
- When I had the flu a few years ago and was so cold that I couldn’t stop shaking, you covered me with extra blankets and heated up chicken soup for me.
- We’ve been through some challenges together Maichie – and sometimes, at the very worst of times, it’s nice to look at someone who knows what your going through and crack up because if we didn’t laugh, we’d cry.
- You try every year to get our mother to stop interrogating me about the gifts we buy her. I always slip and she gets it out of me, and you always say that you are never telling me anything again. The next year, we go through the same thing again. Thanks for having faith in me, however undeserved it is.
- You are great to shop with – need an honest opinion – ask Maichie. You’ve saved me from wearing colours that wash me out and for that, I’m grateful. Plus, you tell me if something looks awful on me.
- You always try to take care of me from telling me the weather for the day (no matter how many times I tell you that I check it) to calling me if it’s slippery out and always checking if I need anything. It’s like having another mother without the guilt trips (just kidding Mommy).
- You always try to be kind to the underdog – it shows a sensitivity to people and is a really nice trait.
- I know that if I ever needed it, you would give me the shirt off of your back. If I’m ever in that position, just make sure it’s a tasteful black shirt with a minimum of bling.
Happy Birthday Maichie – I hope that you have a wonderful day and that this year brings you everything on your wish list and then some.
Love your baby sister