A leopard Snuggie, a hot tea, winning at Trivial Pursuit – these are the things that put a smile on my face as I enjoy the holidays. I’ve seen a lot of my favourite friends, my family and just enjoyed a few days where the only messages on my blackberry were friendly ones. January 5, the holiday ends and heigh ho, heigh ho – it’s back to work I go, but first let me tell you a few things that I did:
- I spent Christmas Eve with my family including one Frousin and Babs. Babs feels sometimes that it’s all about the frousins, but I hope that she knows after more than 40 years of friendship that she is counted amongst my family. You made our traditional Jewish Christmas Eve special because you were there. It’s not that exciting, we just eat vegetarian lasagna and yap a lot, but Babs, you fit right in : )
- Christmas Day (aka Eeyore’s Birthday) was fabulous. Every Christmas morning, for the past 8 or 9 years, I’ve done the same thing, slept over at my mother’s and looked out the window (she lives in a building with a view of a very busy shopping street). I saw, what I see every year – very few cars, and just one or two people walking. Nothing is better than looking out for a few minutes at the stillness….except winning at the family Trivial Pursuit game, but I don’t like to gloat. Ok, Eeyore won as well, but we don’t need to dwell on that. It was just nice to celebrate a birthday with the entire family.
- On Boxing Day (and yesterday) I learned that my Frousin GK is a formidable shopper – welcome to the Boxing Day Shopping Club – come back next year!
- I learned that sometimes, your friends do listen – one friend bought me a Chopra Centre meditation gift certificate, another themed my gift around health and wellness – thank you for paying attention! You are amazing friends.
- Thanks to my Shoe for always including me in every Christmas celebration at Casa Papadopoulous – it is party I always look most forward to and that’s because not only is she a great friend, she has an amazing family too. You are also the person that bought me THREE SNUGGIES – which are just the blanket version of a warm hug. I don’t know where I would have be without them.
- Thanks to my frousin, AK, for making time to see me before becoming a temporary snow bird. I can’t wait to see you when you get back.
- I’m very excited to see two of my favourite work friends tomorrow – actually, make that just friends : )
- Even my work Christmas party was fun – who would have thought? Although, I’ve never met a party that I didn’t like.
- The whole month of December, other than a few pesky days at work (ok many long hours at work) has been exactly what I’ve wanted from the holidays – spending time with my family, seeing my very favourite people and enjoying the holidays. It hasn’t been perfectly relaxing, but it has been pretty perfect in the ways that have counted. I hope that you and your families have enjoyed it no matter what you celebrate.
Last but not least, I haven’t forgotten about my vow of decluttering my room. My big gift was a new duvet set – it’s pretty fabulous, and today, I threw out two bed pillows, three decorative pillows and my old duvet to make room for the new. A final report is coming on the final day of my year of living Oz-ily – that’s December 31st to you. I think it would be redundant to write about what I am grateful for when it’s so clearly illustrated above – I’m grateful to my family and my wonderful friends for making this such a great month and there are still two days left to go!