While you are all celebrating a magical Christmas with your family, my family will be taking part in a birthday celebration for my big sister Eeyore (aka Gigi). Similar to Maichie’s post, to commemorate the day that you came into a Jill-less world, I’m sharing the top ten things that I love most about you:
- You changed my diapers when I was little when no one else would – enough said.
- You, like Maichie, were my protector. When Shawn MacIntyre bullied me (yes, I’m calling you out online – I can hold a grudge) including running over my feet with his bike, you lay in wait. When I was playing with my friend, Paul, and you were overseeing, Shawn came by again with the dastardly bike, as always, threatening me and trying to lift my skirt. You knocked him off of his bike and Paul jumped on his back and that twerp never bothered me again. Nobody had better protectors than I did with my two older sisters.
- You tutored me endlessly in math. You always learned things so effortlessly. You were patient with me even when I was a little, shall we say, challenging? You preserved (and so did my math teacher), and I finished grade 9 with a B (80s in Nova Scotia).
- You always did things with me, from the time that I was little to now. When we were in our teens (while I was in my early teens) we would walk to either GA’s Dairy to get magazines or rent stacks of horror movies from the local video store. When you moved to Toronto and I came to visit, you took me to everything from museums, to the Eaton Centre to the Princess Bride. Now, you always offer to take me to Wal-Mart or Costco and it’s also appreciated.
- You have infinite patience with everything from baking intricate recipes to being our family’s tech support. You know a little something about everything from recommending books, to downloading great music to my iPod to getting a Kobo set up.
- You have been through the wringer and you are still good and kind and thoughtful. You don’t give yourself enough credit and are rarely given the credit you deserve for resetting your life and making things better for yourself and your family. You have sacrificed a lot and you deserve so much credit.
- No one tries harder than you do and you don’t realize how talented you are – you are artistic and have a way of doing things your own way when it comes to painting. You made a beautiful “Tiffany” themed party for your daughter’s 21st birthday and I don’t know how you thought of everything. You can do anything that you put your mind to and do it well. Start patting yourself on the back a little – you deserve it.
- You get excited over the little things and you aren’t jaded. That’s a gift Eeyore.
- You never pretend to be something that you aren’t – also a gift. There is no pretence with you.
- You are a wonderful mother who always puts her kids (and dog) first. You are unselfish with them and love them unconditionally. It’s a rarity these days to see someone who doesn’t expect her children to be anything other than their best and you will spend endless hours on helping them get there.
Eeyore, you don’t hear enough how much you are cared for and admired and loved. Today, on your birthday and even on days when I don’t seem to think it, I am grateful to be…
Your Little Sister xoxo