We all know that Dr. Oz puts a great emphasis on family, and luckily, during the festive season, I get to celebrate the birthdays of two of my favourite people – my older sisters. Gigi’s birthday is on December 25th and Maichie’s birthday is January 3. Maichie is older, so I thought it was only fitting to write her special birthday post for her extra special birthday first. Gigi’s will follow on Christmas Day like it’s supposed to. Maichie – this is one of my gifts to you. To commemorate the day that you came into a Jill-less world, I’m sharing the top ten things that I love most about you:
- When I was little, even though apparently, I could be annoying (or so I’m told, I’ve blocked my annoyingness out of my memory) you rarely lost patience with me. You would play house with me (well housekeeper – I was yours – I happily cleaned out your drawers).
- You were my protector. When the “big boys” from your grade were picking on me, I remember you in your little red poodle coat grabbing one of them by the neck and telling both of them to “see your fist”. You scared both of them away without ever having to throw a punch and I felt safe. You also saved me from punishment at home, but we won’t get into that here : ) Even today, I always feel like you have my back.
- You have infinite patience, even for the most annoying of people. I always ask you how you do it, and the answer is always “I just don’t let it bother me” or “I just ignore it” but you do it in such a way that the person doesn’t feel ignored. It’s a special talent Machie – use it wisely.
- Things rarely bother you. You sit in the car when Mummy and I sing “God Save the Queen” over and over again just to pester you and you ignore it. You ignore our schtick and never let it bother you.
- You are always prepared. You need a band-aid – Maichie has it. Need change for a $10, Maichie has it. Need a snack, Maichie has it. You need Advil, you guessed it – our little girl scout has it.
- You, unlike some people that we are related to, have a fabulous sense of direction. We rarely get lost together.
- You are great to travel with – you are always up for anything and will go anywhere and put up with my Type A tendencies.
- There is no getting anything past you – you are the most observant person that I’ve ever met. Even when it’s something that isn’t said, you really notice it.
- You are the most honest, honourable person I’ve ever met. Yes, Mummy and I may make fun of your unwillingness to jay walk and the fact that you are a total straight arrow, but there is no person more trustworthy than you.
- Sometimes, I really feel like the world may not have been fair to you, but you aren’t bitter. You try to come across as tough, but you are the most kind-hearted person in the world and it’s what I love most about you.
Maichie, I know that families, including ours, never say this enough, but you are loved, you are appreciated and you are wonderful. Today, on your birthday and even on days when I don’t seem to think it, I am grateful to be…
Your Little Sister xoxo