Image Courtesy of I Don’t Remember, Please Don’t Sue Me
I’m still feeling sluggish, but had moments today where I felt slightly more energized. I ate a prebiotic, magnesium filled, potasium filled banana as prescribed. I even had inflammation fighting cardamom courtesy of my first chai tea since the Norwalk Virus incident of 2005 – it’s still too painful to talk about. I knew, though, that there had to be more Oz suggestions, I just knew it, so surfing his site, I found a reminder of how important magnesium is if you aren’t feeling bouncy and energetic. I know that I need to bring some perk to my twerk and if you do too – here are the foods that have the most bang for your magnesium buck (from doctoroz.com):
Eat at least 5 servings of any of these magnesium-rich foods throughout the day:
- ½ cup of boiled spinach – I eat so much fresh spinach – I just can’t see eating it bolied
- ½ cup of quinoa – YAY – I love quinoa
- 1 cup of brown rice – I’ll be eating this tomorrow
- 1 cup of kidney beans – back to this – no way – they look like kidneys
- 1 cup of lentils – YAY – I love a lentil or two
- 1 cup of raisin bran – There are no prizes in this cereal – I’ll think about this one
- 1 cup of shredded wheat – Again – no prizes – no Jill
- 1 cup of oatmeal – Once a week I can manage
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread – I have this every day for breakfast except my bread is whole grain, Omega 3 bread – the kind without additives or preservatives – you know, like the kind you get at Whole Foods
I think I provided this list before, but it never hurts to have a gentle reminder. I love that Dr. Oz doesn’t want you getting this in a supplement. Nuts also are a source of magnesium and I eat nuts with almost every meal. They are actually great in a salad. I had a HUGE salad for dinner with chicken, every green leaf that you can imagine peppers, etc. As directed, I added oranges for citrus – I still have to shop for lemons so that I can have some citrus at every meal – but this was a good start and added my RDA of cashews (like 12 – don’t go overboard). So good and they don’t get soggy like croutons. Let’s see if adding more magnesium helps. I’m also going to pick up some kiwis again – I forgot that he is a fan of eating 2 in the morning to get your day off to an energizing start. It’s so hard sometimes to remember everything that I’m supposed to eat – I’ll have to come up with a handy chart to keep everything straight. When I do, I’ll post a copy so that everyone can use it as a handy reference.
To end today, yet more to be grateful for! I’m a concert lover and yesterday, I took some clients to see Cher – Pat Benatar was her opening act. I LOVE Pat Benatar – We Belong is one of my top favourite songs. I have seen Cher before (I think it was her first farewell tour). I like her, but I’ve never been a huge fan. Well, I have to tell you, today, I am grateful for CHER!!!!!!!!!! She is hilarious – even she made fun of herself for her farewell tours. She is a great performer and that lady can put on a show. Her face may not move and a foot injury meant her body didn’t move much either, but I loved it! She may be a senior citizen, but in the words of Gwyneth Paltrow’s bestie Jay – Shawn Carter – Z, that woman is one bad mutha smucker (sorry, this blog is PG rated). It made me so proud to have two Cher dolls when I was growing up (hand me downs from my older sisters). Here is a pic from last night – blurry, but what do expect from a Blackberry?