“The Whiz-ard That is Dr. Oz” is really about the things that I am interested in and would like to work on in my own life. My friends have always been important to me, and one in particular, let’s just call her T, my A++ friend asked me to dedicate a blog to her for her birthday which is tomorrow and to see if I can find some advice on a nasty cough that she’s had for quite awhile. So my friend – here are some of the good Dr. Oz’s tips:
- Honey – I know T that you have been using honey already, but Dr. Oz confirms in this link why it’s good for you http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/season-5-tip-nagging-cough. Maybe try a teaspoon like he suggests before you get into bed…
- Donna Cardillo from doctoroz.com had some great advice http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/donna-cardillo-rn-ma/cold-and-flu-home-remedies
- Fresh Ginger Root boiled in hot water, like tea can soothe a cough or scratchy throat – I had ginger tea once when I was sick and it was soothing
- Lemons can speed up healing so try some hot lemon in water. I know you drink lemon tea so you may have this covered
- Peppermint tea can act as an expectorant – who knew? This can break up a dry, hacking cough
- Gargle with salt water four times a day – I know you have been gargling – but has it been four times as suggested?
I love these suggestions but don’t want to try them, because that would mean I’m sick…but I am a fan of not taking over the counter medication for colds if at all possible. They don’t seem to help me. I’m always a fan of rest, vitamin c, chicken soup – it is comforting, lots of water and tea. I hope this helps you.
In an article on doctoroz.com, Paul Hokemeyer writes the following on “The Therapeutic Power of Friendship: “….deep and soulful friendships enable us to heal, grow and change our lives. In them, we find the capacity to give and receive love and delight in being authentic with one another.” T – you are such an amazing friend. You have been there for me when I have been at my saddest, made me laugh or I made myself laugh (I’m hilarious – really) and you laughed at me laughing at my own jokes, you’ve helped me grow as a person, gone on some crazy trips to unexpected places (Graceland, Mall of America, Pittsburgh) and truly I don’t know where I would be without you – you are family and I can’t thank you enough for being you. Happy Birthday xo